Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving

One of my great joys in life is playing the role of Uncle Jimmy. It’s a job that comes easy to me, requiring only a love for my nieces and nephews and a commitment to thinking and acting less mature than them. I call it being ‘constructively unstable’ – lots of hugs, general silliness, and the occasional instigation. Tomorrow is the annual Thanksgiving Hooserfest at mom’s house. It’s a perfect playground for me to practice my craft. I won’t shave so I’ll have whiskers to rub on cheeks with the first hug. I will use nicknames as if they are the only names I know. I will covertly play the seafood game with someone at the dinner table, knowing that they will get caught by a parent when they retaliate. I will engage in ridiculous conversations using my ‘serious’ voice. I will wrestle in the floor, tell dumb jokes, make goofy faces, and with any luck at all, trick someone into pulling my finger. I will endeavor to teach them something of value and I will take every opportunity to tell everyone I love them and cherish them. I will be Uncle Jimmy.

My uncle-ish behavior will be a tribute to the “Uncle Jimmy” of my life - my Uncle Larry. It’s approaching two weeks since we lost him. We hurt and we feel the void, but we will give thanks for the life of Larry Van Hooser. I personally will give thanks for God’s favor allowing me to be his nephew. You see, I used to think that being a good uncle was something that came naturally, but now I realize, at least in my case, that it is learned. I know because I had a great teacher. Though sad and disappointed, I am enormously grateful for my Uncle Larry and his teachings. I know he is watching and I hope I make him proud.


1 comment:

becky andersen said...

Jimmy I love this and I love you. I'm sure you are a great uncle cause your a great cousin. Thanks for sending me your blog, it looks great. With love, Becca.